This article describes how to configure a Heartland Restaurant site to use the DoorDash delivery service. It assumes that DoorDash has been boarded and that the site already has configured menus, sales taxes, rooms, and Online Ordering. All steps within this article must be completed before publishing a location.
Enabling the Integration (Dealer Only)
- Log into the Admin Console.
- In the Admin Console’s Main Menu, click Integrations.
- In the Integrations screen, click New.
- In the Integration Setup panel, in the Integration Type list, select DoorDash.
- Select the Active check box.
- In the Select the room DoorDash orders should be sent to list, select the room that will receive incoming DoorDash orders.
- In the Select the tax to show on reports for DoorDash orders list, select the tax that you want to associate with DoorDash orders in reports.
- Click Save to save the settings.
Configuring DoorDash Menu Schedules, Pricing, and Lead Times
Before you can complete the onboarding process in the Integrations screen, you must save the record, access the Online Ordering screen, and build a dedicated menu for the DoorDash service.
- In the Admin Console’s Main Menu, click Location Setup, then select Online Ordering.
- In the Online Ordering screen, click the Online Ordering tab, then click the Third Party Ordering tab.
- In the Third Party Ordering Settings area, select the Third Party Ordering Enabled check box.
- In the Delivery Integration Price Adjustment (%) box, enter an appropriate price adjustment (as a percentage amount) that the program will apply to incoming DoorDash orders.
Note: The Third Party Lead Time box is disabled because you cannot adjust lead times for DoorDash orders within Heartland Restaurant. If the merchant needs to adjust their lead time for DoorDash orders, they should call DoorDash Merchant Support at 855-973-1040.
- In the Third Party Ordering Menu & Hours area, create a menu for the DoorDash service.
- Click Save to save your settings.
Flagging DoorDash Alcoholic Items and Online Availability
DoorDash requires you to designate menu items that contain alcohol. You must flag each such items individually in the Menu Items screen.
- In the Admin Console’s Main Menu, click Account Menu, then click Items.
- In the Menu Items screen, select an existing record of a menu item that contains alcohol.
- Select the Alcohol check box.
- Click Save to save the item’s settings.
- Repeat Steps 2 to 4 for every alcohol item that will be available in the third-party menu.
If you do not want a menu item to appear on the DoorDash menu, you can clear the Available Online check box. However, this setting will also render the item unavailable in all carryout and delivery menus.
Finish Onboarding DoorDash
Now that you have created a menu for DoorDash and flagged all alcoholic items appropriately, you can finish onboarding the DoorDash service.
- In the Admin Console’s Main Menu, click Integrations.
- In the Integrations screen, click the DoorDash integration record.
The program will open the DoorDash Integration Setup panel.
- Select the Confirm DoorDash check box.
- Click START ONBOARDING to finish the onboarding process for DoorDash.
The program displays the DoorDash Onboarding Form.
- Complete the form with the required information.
The DoorDash Store ID is numeric only.
The Store ID can be found at the end of the URL for a DoorDash site
(e.g. https://www.doordash.com/store/ians-taco-shop 123456/)
In this example, the DoorDash Store ID would be 123456.
There may be an additional number after the Store ID
In this example, the Store ID is still 123456. You can disregard the additional number.
- After entering all necessary information, click Save to submit the form.
Note that the status changes to In Progress.
After DoorDash Onboarding Form is Submitted
DoorDash completes ALL activations for Heartland Restaurant merchants every Wednesday. If DoorDash encounters any problems while activating an account, they may send merchants an email on the Monday before.
Once activated, orders will immediately begin transmitting to the Heartland Restaurant location. DoorDash will notify the merchant via email. DoorDash may take up to 30 minutes to process the menu update, depending on their volume at the time.
DoorDash automatically reduces the end time of configured menu groups by 20 minutes to limit order submissions that would be picked up too far past closing time. Greater than 10 minutes past closing time is the limit for us to accept an order; beyond that it will be rejected. For example, if the Dinner menu closes at 8:00 PM, DoorDash will display 7:40 PM as the closing time.
If an order is submitted at 7:38, but would take 40 minutes to pick up (i.e. 8:18 pickup time), that order would be rejected because it is 18 minutes past close time (thus, 8 minutes past our added buffer for orders after close (10 minutes).
If it was submitted at 7:38, but only took 30 minutes to pick up (i.e. 8:08 pickup time), that order would be accepted because it is within 10 minutes of closing time.
- Multiple Taxes with Tax Inclusive Items: Taxes are handled by DoorDash themselves and tax applied to tickets in Heartland Restaurant are strictly to balance reporting between the systems as closely as possible.
- Mixed Taxes (such as VAT and Sales Tax): Taxes are handled by DoorDash themselves, and tax applied to tickets in Heartland Restaurant are done so strictly to balance reporting between the systems as closely as possible.
- Voids: Voids and order changes must be completed in the DoorDash merchant portal or DoorDash tablet.
- Half-and-Half Modifiers: The DoorDash integration does not currently support the option for “half-and-half” modifiers. If the merchant wants to use half-and-half modifiers with the DoorDash integration, they must define two separate dedicated modifiers for pizzas: a left half and a right half.
DoorDash ATD (Automated Temporary Deactivation) email and tablet notification (if applicable):
- Cause: Too many canceled orders.
- Resolution: This typically means that there is an issue with the configuration, and you should republish the location’s data in the Admin Console to bring your menu and stock quantities back in sync. If the error still occurs, check the DoorDash portal or contact DoorDash support for more information. Finally, issues can be escalated through Heartland Support if DoorDash suspects an issue on the Heartland side.
DoorDash allows order submissions for orders that could be picked up after closing. We have barred them from submitting any orders with a pickup time later than the close time + 10 minutes, 1 second. If orders are submitted by DoorDash that are past that pickup window, we will reject the order and the merchant may see an ATD (“deactivated” message until the following day). In this scenario, they will be automatically reactivated the following day without user intervention.
For example: Store hours: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
An order comes in at 7:25 PM, but the order pickup time is 8:05 PM. This order is ACCEPTED because the pickup time is less than 10 minutes after closing.
An order comes in at 7:35 PM, but the order pickup time is 8:15 PM. This order is REJECTED because the pickup time is greater than 10 minutes after closing. The error message will say: “No Available Order Times”, and ATD will be enabled for the location until the following day to avoid subsequent errors.
- Following the POS integration, images must be reassigned to items added through the DoorDash Portal because those items are technically new items and no longer associated with the existing images.
- Delivery Price Adjustment will only work if the merchant enables “Dual-Pricing” with DoorDash directly. Please reach out to DoorDash support to enable this feature.
- Delivery Price Adjustment will only affect Delivery Pricing.
- If “Dual-Pricing” is not enabled, the standard menu price will be used for all items regardless of order type (delivery and pickup).
- Self-Delivery is not supported with the DoorDash integration.
- Self-Delivery is a DoorDash feature that allows merchants to deliver orders that come from DoorDash with their own drivers to reduce fees.
- DoorDash Initial Menu Create Error (missing ‘precondition’).
- We have encountered an infrequent error regarding new menu groups being pulled from DoorDash that may still occur following the General Availability. If this error occurs, the DoorDash activations team will reach out directly to the merchant to let them know that the menus were not able be PULLED from their POS.
- If this is received, the merchant should simply publish from the Heartland Restaurant Admin Console to initiate a PUSH request from our system and ensure that the menu is accurate.
- The location will still be able to receive orders via the tablet and it should have no effect on other normal business operations. Any further issues should be escalated through support.