Custom fields are a great tool for customizing your services to meet customer or company needs. For instance, you can capture your customers' birthdays for a loyalty reward programs or report vendor style trends using a custom style number field.
To access custom fields in Heartland Retail, begin by navigating to Settings (select the Settings link in the top navigation menu).
From the Settings page, select Custom Fields, a tab on the left menu bar. The Custom Fields page displays.
New Custom Field
- Select the New button. The New Custom Field page displays.
- Enter a Name for the new custom field. Your entry is the label above the text entry field in Heartland Retail.
- Assign the custom field to a group by selecting a Group from the corresponding dropdown menu.
- By default, a field is optional. If this custom field is required, move the Required switch to Yes. Once required, the system will not allow you to edit or save an item without entering information for that field.
- By default, a field value can be the same as another entry. If the value for this field must be unique, move the Unique Value switch to Yes.
Note: Your items can have an individual item identifier by choosing to apply unique values, which makes this field scannable. This is particularly useful when paired with the item's UPC number.
- Custom field information is not automatically included on purchase orders or purchase receipts. To add this information:
- Add the custom field to the Purchase order or Purchasing Receipt, at the line-item level, by enabling (setting the toggle to Yes) these options.
- Add the custom field to Inventory > Items by enabling Display on Item List.
- Select Any if the field values are free form. Otherwise, select Pick from a list and enter the allowed values.
Note: Offering a list of options is a great way to ensure consistency for your items.
- Select Save.
Editing Custom Fields
- Select the name of the custom item to edit. This navigates to the edit page for that field. You can edit the name of the Name, Group, Field Type, and more.
- Edit the entries as needed, and then select Save.
Deleting Custom Fields
- Select the Delete link for the item to delete. You are prompted to confirm that you want to delete the custom field.
- Select Yes, and then Save.