Employees → Employee Pay → Pay Rate
Pay Increase Needed? Is your employee receiving a raise? Select the Add Pay Rate button to enter new pay information and create a historical log.
Increasing pay in the middle of a pay period? The Heartland system will not automatically adjust the pay between the two amounts. This will need to be done manually when inputting payroll.
Hours can be split to be paid at two different hourly rates (add a line in the payroll grid to add a second set of hours and override the rate by selecting the paperclip in that field). The salary amount can be manually overridden in the payroll grid using the dollars column.
Select the Add Pay Rate button.
Record Type: Current, Future, or Historical Change.
Effective Date: Defaults to the Pay Period Begin Date for the upcoming check date. For Future Changes, input the Pay Period Begin Date that the change will be in effect.
Change Reason: (Optional)
- Hourly: hours vary each pay period and are entered or imported each payroll. Taxable employee; earnings are reported on Form W-2
- Auto Hourly: hours entered in this field are automatically paid each payroll. Taxable employee; earnings are reported on Form W-2
- Salary: employee receives a fixed, regular payment amount automatically each payroll; no action is needed. Taxable employee; earnings are reported on Form W-2
- Manual Salary: Nothing is paid unless a salary amount is entered or imported into the payroll grid. Taxable employee; earnings are reported on form W-2
- Commission Only: Employee only receives commission; amounts are entered to be paid. Taxable employee; earnings are reported on Form W-2
- 1099: Earnings are reported on Form 1099 NEC, Non-employee Compensation
- 1099 Hourly: Earnings are reported on Form 1099 NEC, Non-employee Compensation, pay based on hours x rate
Pay Group: Assign pay group. Pay Groups can be set up to group employees for different pay rules, such as: pay frequencies, locations, or to separate reporting.
Frequency: Defaults based on the pay group selected. Only edit this field if the employee is paid at a different pay frequency (this is uncommon).
Create ‘Change in Normal Hours’ Life Event: Allow the default option.
Normal Hours: Defaults to the Pay Frequency’s normal hours. Normal Weekly hours are 40, or Bi-Weekly hours are 80.
Percent Increase: Will increase the pay amounts based on the percentage entered.
Annual Salary, Per Pay Salary, and Hourly Rate are related: You can input the amount in one field, and when you move to a different field, the other two will populate automatically.
💡 Enter pay information in any of the four pay fields: Percent Increase, Annual Salary, Per Pay Salary, or Hourly Rate. The others will calculate automatically based on the employee’s Frequency and Normal Hours. This is by design for calculation purposes. The Pay Type determines how the employee is paid (for example, hourly vs. salary), and the appropriate associated pay field will be used to determine the employee’s pay.