This document describes recent enhancements to the existing QuickBooks Online (QBO) integration. For complete information on the QBO integration, please refer to our QBO Guide.
The use of the features described in this document require the following:
- You must be running Heartland Retail 7.50 or later.
- You must have both the QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Online Enhancements feature flags enabled for your account in Landlord.
- You must be connected to your QBO account.
If you have questions regarding the updates described in this document, please contact the Heartland Retail support team.
With this enhancement, all financial events conducted at a defined location can generate a journal entry that includes location and can automatically push that information QBO. You can then view this information in the QBO Journal report.
To support this new feature, we have added a Locations tab to the Financial page of the POS so you can easily map your locations. If you do not see this tab, go to Integrations and verify that you are connected to your QBO account, then try again.
To map locations, do the following:
- From the Financial page, go to the Locations tab and select Import Locations.
- The modal will display a list of your Heartland locations on the left and dropdown menus on the right of available QBO locations.
- Select a corresponding QBO location for each of your Heartland locations and select Save to commit your changes.
- A green success message should display in the upper right corner of the modal.
- When viewing the QBO Journal report, in order to include location information, you must configure this in settings. To do this, tap the settings icon and then, under the Change Columns section, check the Location box.
Here is an example of the resulting report:
Please note: If you receive an error when selecting Import (‘No locations found in synced QBO account’), follow these steps to add locations in QBO and then try again to import.
- Click the settings icon and go to Lists | All Lists.
- From there, click Locations and select New. Enter a name for your location and save.
- Repeat as necessary.
The POS now includes custom field data such as vendor invoice number and credit memo or RTV numbers. This simplifies the process for merchants when matching invoices to goods received and/or returned, and applying credits to amounts owed in QBO. As well, it facilitates reconciliation of Accrued Receipts Payable and Accrued Returns Payable accounts in QBO.
The POS will automatically push all custom field data to QBO to be displayed in the Memo section of the QBO Journal report.
For a friendlier user experience, we have implemented numerous helpful prompts to ensure simple and correct configuration of QBO in the POS.
If you attempt to sync to QBO before doing the necessary configuration in the Financial Module page, the POS will inform you of this and will give you the option to select Start to go directly to the page.
As you work through the settings on this page, the POS will display green checks next to items that are complete, and a grey X next to items that still require attention.
In cases where an entry on the Financial Events tab contains more than one error, the POS now indicates multiple errors in a summary (‘Multiple errors detected’) under the Error column.
You can tap the down-pointing arrow button to the right of the message to expand the list and view all errors.
We have improved behavior when retrying syncs for on the Financial Events page so users can easily see the status of pending items without having to refresh and/or navigate unnecessarily.
In such cases, when you click Retry for an ‘Action Required’ item, a ‘Retry scheduled’ banner will briefly appear in the upper right corner, and the item’s Status will automatically change to ‘Processing’ as pictured here:
Upon successful sync, the status will update to ‘Synced’.
To avoid accidental disconnection from QBO, when a user selects Disconnect.
The POS now displays a confirmation prompt, allowing the user to either confirm or cancel.
Here are links to download the latest version of Heartland Retail Connect: