This article describes how to configure a Digital Dining site to use the Heartland Mobile Manager analytics
system. Before you can use the Mobile Manager app and its various reporting features, you must
configure the Digital Dining site to transmit updated sales information to an Amazon cloud service. After
the site is configured, you can use the app to read updated data from the Amazon cloud service.
Before setting up a site, you should update all the site’s Back Office Server and POS workstations with
the latest patch from Digital Dining. To use the Mobile Manager analytics system, the site must run
version 7.4.3252 or later.
Configuring Digital Dining for Mobile Manager
To configure Digital Dining to use the Mobile Manager reporting service, you must perform the following
- Define an Amazon cloud location for the Mobile Manager service.
- Define an XML Export Destination for the Mobile Manager service.
- Set the path of the Digital Dining XML Windows Service.
- Start the Digital Dining XML Windows Service.
- Define a utility task to export payroll data to the cloud location at regular intervals.
- Configure the Mobile Manager Export task.
- Set the POS to export sales data each time an order is sent. (Optional)
Define an Amazon Location for Mobile Manager Service
The first step to configuring Digital Dining to use the Mobile Manager service is to define the location of
the Amazon Cloud account that will support the Mobile Manager service. You can do this in the Amazon
Location Maintenance window, which enables you to create Amazon location records. Each Amazon
location record represents a location on an Amazon cloud server where you can either upload or
download files. Later, you can use this location as a destination for Digital Dining’s XML Server program.
- Run the Digital Dining Installation program.
- In the Setup program, click the Misc menu, point to the Additional System/POS Setup submenu,
point to the XML submenu, then click XML Amazon Destination.
- In the Amazon Location Maintenance window, click Add.
- In the Description box, type a descriptive name for the location (such as “Mobile Manager”).
- Enter valid settings in the following boxes:
Access Key ID
Secret Access Key
To collect these credentials, please review our article on Using the Mobile Manager Admin Console.
- Click Save to save the settings, or Exit to save and close the window.
Define an XML Export Destination for the Mobile Manager Service
The next step is to set Digital Dining to use the Mobile Manager Amazon location as an export destination
by Digital Dining’s XML Server. In the XML Export Maintenance window, you will create a new destination
record for the Amazon server and set it to use the Amazon location record from the previous section.
Digital Dining will use the XML Server to update the sales data on the Mobile Manager Amazon cloud
server, and you must set it to use the proper location in the XML Export Maintenance window.
- In the Setup program, in the Misc menu, point to the Additional System/POS Setup submenu, then point to the XML submenu, then click XML Transaction Export.
- 2 In the XML Export Maintenance window, click Add.
- In the Description box, type a descriptive name for the Amazon cloud location (such as “Mobile
- In the Export File Type list, select Per Transaction.
- In the Export Time list, select Real Time.
- In the Export Destination list, select Directly to Amazon.
- In the Amazon Location list, select the Amazon location record that you created in the previous
section (“Mobile Manager”).
- Click Save to save the settings, or Exit to save and close the window.
Set the Path of the XML Windows Service
The next step is to set the path of Digital Dining’s XML Server. By setting its path, you inform Digital
Dining where on the network the program runs.
- In the Setup program, click the Misc menu, then click Servers.
- On the Main tab, find XML Export Server in the Server column.
- In the corresponding Location box, type the computer name of the computer that runs the XML
Windows Service, or click and select an appropriate path in the Browse for Folder.
- Click Exit to save your settings and close the Servers window.
Enter the machine name where the XML Windows Service was installed.
Start the XML Windows Service
- Access the Windows Control Panel.
- Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.
The Services Management Console will display.
In the Services window, right-click Digital Dining XML Windows Service, then click
Properties. The Digital Dining Service Properties window opens.
- On the General tab, in the Startup type list, select Automatic.
The Startup type list controls how a service is started. If you select Automatic,
Windows will run the service automatically each time you start the computer.
- In the Service status area, click Start. This will start the Digital Dining XML service immediately.
- Click OK to save your settings and exit the Digital Dining XML Properties window.
The site is now configured to export sales information in XML format to the Amazon Cloud Server.
Define a Utility Task to Export Payroll Data for Mobile Manager
You can create a utility task to export updated payroll data to the Amazon Cloud Server at regular
intervals throughout a business day. By doing so, you can refresh the data accessed by the Mobile
Manager app at reasonably frequent intervals. (This utility only updates time and attendance data, not
sales transaction data.)
- In the Setup program, click the Misc menu, point to the Task Maintenance submenu, then click
Utility Task Maintenance.
The Utility Task Maintenance window will open.
- Click Add. Then enter an appropriate name for the task (such as “Mobile Manager Export”) in the
In the Utility list, select Payroll Cost Export.
- Click the Access tab.
- In the Time Range list, select Allowed anytime.
- Click Add Job.
When you click Add Job, Digital Dining adds the new task to Windows Task
Scheduler along with the appropriate command line text. The program also displays
the task’s Property window, allowing you to make any final edits.
- Click the Schedule tab.
On the Schedule tab, you can adjust the time and frequency of the task (that is,
when and how often Digital Dining runs the task). To set the task to run daily,
- In the Schedule Task list, click Once. In the Start time: list, enter the restaurant’s opening time.
- In the Run on: calendar box, select the current date.
- Click Advanced.
- Select the Repeat Task check box.
- In the Every: lists, select an appropriately frequent duration for the task, such as every 15 minutes.
- In the Until: area, select Duration.
- Click OK.
The program will display the Set Account Information prompt.
- Type the computer’s password in the Password and Confirm password boxes, then click OK.
Configure the Mobile Manager to Export Tasks
After defining the utility task, you should configure a few more settings in the task before proceeding to
the next step.
- Access the Windows Task Scheduler.
- In the Tasks list, find and double-click the Mobile Manager Export task.
The Properties window will open.
- Click the Triggers tab.
- Click Edit. The Edit Trigger window displays.
- In the Begin the task: list, select On a schedule.
- In the Settings area, if it is not already selected, select One time. Also verify that the Start: time is
the same time you set in the Task Scheduler.
- In the Advanced settings area, if it is not already selected, select Repeat task every: and set its
time interval to 15 minutes.
- Select the Enable check box.
- Click OK.
The task to export Time Clock data to Mobile Manager is now configured.
Set the POS to Export Sales Data Each Time an Order is Sent
You can also set how frequently the POS exports updated transaction data for new checks to the Amazon
cloud server. You can set the POS to send updated sales data each time you send an item within an
open check, or to wait until the check is closed. This is an optional task, as the setting simply determines
how often the data in the Mobile Manager reports are updated.
- In the Setup program, click the Misc menu, then click Options.
- In the Options window, click the Misc tab.
- Select the Export XML transactionson check send check box.
- Click Save to save the setting.
The Export XML transactions on check send check box allows you to set when the POS exports sales
transaction data to the Amazon cloud server. If you select this check box, the program will export new
transaction information each time a staff member sends an order (by tapping the Send button). If you
clear the check box, the program will not export a check’s transaction data to the cloud until the server
closes the check.