Employees → General → Summary tab
Each area contains a Pencil Icon and Edit link. Clicking these will take you to that page of the employee profile.
- Select View List or the forward/back arrows at the top of the page to navigate between employees.
- The pencil icons (Edit) are shortcut links that will take you to the page where the information in that section is located.
Select the Pencil Icon to navigate to the specific employee section.
Fields Defined by Section
Employee Name & Address
Name: Employee’s legal name as it will appear on their W-2
Address 1: Line one of the employee’s address
Address 2: Line two for Unit or Apt number entry
City/State/Zip Code: associated with the home address
SSN: Social Security Number
Birth Date: Employee’s date of birth
Marital Status: (Optional) Employee's marital status; this field is for recordkeeping only and does not relate to the tax filing status
Work Email Address: Enter the email the employee would like to use to access Employee Self-Service. Personal email addresses can be used in this field if preferred for Self-Service
- Employee Self-Service allows employees to view their information, paystubs, and W-2s. It is accessed on a desktop, mobile device, or the Heartland Payroll+ Mobile app found on iOS and Android app stores
Personal Email: Personal email to have on file (Optional)
Office Phone/Mobile Phone:(Optional)
EEO & Veteran Information
Ethnic Origin: (Optional) assign for EEO Reporting
Disability:(Optional) set for EEO Reporting
Disabled Veteran/Vietnam Veteran: (Optional) Used to track Veteran status
Fed Filing Status: Filing status based on the W-4 from the employee
State Filing Status: Filing status is based upon the individual state tax withholding form. The status types vary state-to-state.
Fed Exemptions/Fed Dependents: Number of exemptions the employee is claiming, or the dependent credit amount
- Depending on the W-4 year and employment hire date, the Fed Exemption or Fed Dependents line will be available
- Employees hired after 01/01/2020 only allow for the Dependent Credit amount
State Exemptions: State-specific exemptions amount or percentage, when applicable
Work Location: Choose where the employee will work; our system utilizes this to determine state and local taxation. Reach out to your payroll team if you need a new Work Location added.
Res Location: Allow default, the information auto-populates from the employee’s home zip code
School District: Displays the school district that the employee’s taxes contribute to (if applicable)
Pay Group: Assign pay group. Pay Groups can be set up to group employees for different pay rules, such as; pay frequencies, locations, or to separate reporting
- Hourly: hours vary each pay period and are entered or imported each payroll. Taxable employee, earnings are reported on Form W-2
- Auto Hourly: hours entered in this field are automatically paid each payroll. Taxable employee, earnings are reported on Form W-2
- Salary: employee receives a fixed, regular payment amount automatically each payroll; no action is needed. Taxable employee, earnings are reported on Form W-2
- Manual Salary: Nothing is paid unless a salary amount is entered or imported into the payroll grid. Taxable employee, earnings are reported on form W-2
- Commission Only: Employee only receives commission; amounts are entered to be paid. Taxable employee, earnings are reported on Form W-2
- 1099: Earnings are reported on Form 1099 NEC, Non-employee Compensation
- 1099 Hourly: Earnings are reported on a Form 1099 NEC, Non-employee Compensation, pay based on hours x rate
Frequency: The frequency which the employee will be paid (important for correct tax calculation)
Normal Hours: Populates the normal hours associated with the pay frequency. Override as needed, if the pay type is Auto Hourly.
Effective Date: Effective date that the current pay information begins
Annual Salary: Employee’s annual salary
Per Pay Salary: Based on the number of pay periods annually and their normal hours
Hourly Rate: Breakdown of the annual salary in an hourly wage format
💡 Enter pay information in any of the three pay fields, Annual Salary, Per Pay Salary, or Hourly Rate, and the other two will calculate automatically based on the employee’s Frequency and Normal Hours. This is by design for calculation purposes. The Pay Type determines how the employee is paid (for example, hourly vs. salary), and the appropriate associated pay field will be used to determine the employee’s pay.
Division/Department: Assign the employee’s division/department,assists with Labor Allocation and Job Costing
Jobs: Assign the employee’s job for Labor Allocation and Job Costing (Optional)
Assigning Organizational Hierarchy at the Employee level, will recur for each payroll. This can be overridden individually using the Time Entry Grid.
Legal Company: Account assigned to the employee
Employee #: Employment number associated with the employee
Status: Active, Inactive, Terminated, reach out to your Payroll Support Team to add more status types
Hire Date: Employment begin date
Adjusted Service Date: Employment adjustment date, if applicable
Employment Category: Full-Time, Part-Time, Temporary, Seasonal, reach out to your Payroll Support Team to add more categories
All Job fields are optional.
Effective Date: Effective date for the job classification
Job Code: Job code related to the classification
Job Title: Title associated with the classification
Job Group: Grouping based upon the job assignment
FLSA Exempt: (Optional)
Seasonal Job: (Optional)
Union Job: (Optional)
EEO Category: (Optional)
Workers Comp: When applicable
Manager/Supervisor: Manager/supervisor assigned for the employee, relates to the Self-Service portal.
Optional, related to labor distribution. If hours and wages need to be separated as a default between different earning codes or division/departments, you can set that up to occur every payroll here. If you adjust in the Time Entry Grid it will only apply to that specific payroll run.