This article describes how to configure a Heartland Restaurant network to use the Heartland Gift service in general for different setup scenarios as well as a FAQ on its current abilities.
Heartland Gift Setup
Heartland Gift General Setup
To perform Heartland Gift transactions, you must configure the service in the Admin Console, regardless of the type of integration method you choose for Heartland Gift. This document assumes you have already ordered processing appropriately through Salesforce and have all necessary parameters.
Create a Gift Card Item
Staff members will use this item in the POS to activate and reload Heartland Gift Cards with funds.
- Access the Admin Console, then select the appropriate account.
- In the Main Menu, select Account Menu.
- In the Items screen, click New.
- Configure the item while keeping these settings in mind:
Name: Enter a name for the gift card menu item.
Price: If you enter a price in this box, the POS will display it as the default price load a card. If you do not enter a price in this box, the POS will display “$0.00” as the default price.
Tax: In this box, enter the gift card’s taxability appropriately.
Non-Revenue: Select this check box if you do not want to include gift card activations and reloads in sales figures.
Stored Value: Select Gift Card.
Section: Assign the item to an appropriate section to make it accessible in the POS.
Available Online: If the location will be giving out virtual gift cards via online ordering and the Guest App, select this check box so customers can purchase e-Gift cards online.
- Click to save the item’s settings.
Enable Tipping on Gift Card Transactions
If you want to accept tips on gift card transactions, you must enable the gift tipping function.
- In the Main Menu, select Location Setup.
- In the Settings screen, in the Advanced Settings area, select Gift Tipping.
Heartland Gift PAX Setup
This configuration allows merchant’s to process Heartland Gift directly through their PAX device.
- In the Main Menu, select Location Setup, then click Payment Gateway.
- In the Payment Gateway screen, select PAX in the EMV Solution.
- In the Gift Card list, select PAX.
- In the Online Settings area, select the Heartland Gift check box.
This will populate the Heartland Gift Settings box, where you must enter the necessary gift parameters, as detailed here.
IMPORTANT: To use this option, you must update all tablets to Heartland Restaurant version 4.10 or later.
Define a Payment Terminal
- In the Main Menu, click Location Setup, then click Payment Terminals.
- In the Payment Terminals screen, click Add a Payment Terminal.
- In the Name box, enter a name for the PAX device.
It is recommended to follow a naming convention that makes sense for the merchant.
- In the IP Address box, enter the static IP address of the PAX device.
Connect the POS to the Payment Terminal
- Run and log into the POS.
- Select the User Menu (), then select Manager, then select Payment Terminals.
- Tap the button representing the desired PAX device to connect it to the tablet.
Configure the PAX IP Address
- Press the Func and 1 buttons at the same time.
- Enter the password.
- Tap the Down arrow to show Communication.
- Press 2 or select Communication.
- Enter the password
- Tap the Down arrow twice to show LAN Parameters.
- Press 1 or select LAN Parameters.
- Select LAN Type and verify that “LAN Type: 2” is displayed at the top of the screen. If this is already set, skip to step 10.
- Press 2 or select Static.
- Press 2 or select IP Address.
- Enter the static IP Address, then press Green Enter key to save.
The PAX S300 must be set to Static.
- Press 4 or select Gateway IP, then press the green Enter key to save.
- Now use the Back button to save all settings.
- Then Unplug the power cable to reset the device.
Heartland Gift Direct Setup
- In the Main Menu, click Location Setup, then click Payment Gateway.
- In the Payment Gateway screen, in the In-Store Settings area, select Heartland in the Gift Card.
The program will display the Heartland Gift settings area. In this area, enter the necessary information from your Heartland var sheet.
The field names will not match exactly. The required fields align as follows:
- URL: Leave as is.
- Username = HMS Profile ID
- Password = HMS Password
- Domain = HMS Domain
Chain = Required if the site will use Virtual Gift. Otherwise, leave blank.
The Chain ID is in the subject line of the email provided by the Heartland Gift team when Virtual Gift is enabled. If necessary, contact Heartland Gift to receive this ID.
- Store = HMS SellerProfileID
Setting Up the Unencrypted MSR
- Connect your Unencrypted MSR (IDTech UniMag II) to a tablet.
- Run and log into the POS.
- Select the User Menu (), then select Manager, then select General.
- In the Device Options area, enable the Attached Card Reader is Non-credit.
- If you do not want the POS to prompt you when it is attached to the device, enable the Auto Connect Attached Card Reader.
Heartland Gift Bridgepay Setup
Bridgepay requires Heartland Portico credentials to process Heartland Gift transactions. If a merchant does not process credit card transactions through Heartland, they will not have Portico credentials to provide to Bridgepay. Therefore, if a merchant does not process credit cards through Heartland, they cannot use Heartland Gift through Bridgepay.
Using Heartland Gift through Bridgepay will incur twice the normal fees to the merchant.
For detailed procedures for configuring Heartland Gift in Bridgepay, please review our “Bridgepay Setup Document”. (See the “Adding Heartland Gift Card Processing” section.)
- Log into the Admin Portal and select the appropriate account.
- In the Main Menu, click Location Setup, then click Payment Gateway.
- In the Payment Gateway screen, in the In-Store Settings area, select Bridgepay in the Gift Card.
- In the BridgePay Settings area, enter the Username, Password, and Merchant Key for the merchant from the Bridgepay Portal.
Heartland Virtual Gift (e-Gift) Setup
If you use the Heartland Gift Direct or Heartland Gift PAX integrations in store, you can take advantage of the ability to use Heartland Virtual Gifting.
Configuring the Admin Console
- In the Admin Console’s Main Menu, click Location Setup, then click Online Ordering.
- In the Online Ordering screen, click the Online Ordering
- In the General Settings area, select the Allow Gift Purchases check box.
- In the eGift Room list, select a room.
The POS will associate eGift sales with this room. You can select the same room that is associated with your online orders.
Virtual gifting uses the same item as In-Store for activations and reloads. See here for instructions on setting up this item.
To use the Virtual Gift functionality, you must also enter a Chain ID in the Payment Gateway settings.
Setting Prefixes in Each POS
To use the Virtual Gift functionality, you must set a unique ticket prefix in each POS device that uses the Virtual Gift service.
- Log into the POS.
- In the top right corner, tap the User Menu (),then tap Manager.
- In the Manager Settings screen, tap Tablets.
- In the Tablets screen, enter an appropriate ticket prefix in the Ticket Prefix
- Tap Save to save the setting.
Using Heartland Gift
The following procedures apply to physical and virtual gift cards.
To Activate or Reload a Gift Card
- In the POS, navigate to the Gift Card item and select it.
The POS displays a screen where you can enter an amount and swipe or manually enter the gift card number.
- Select Activate to add funds to a new card, or tap Reload to add funds to an existing card.
If you are using PAX simply tap Activate or Reload and you can manually enter or swipe the gift card from there.
To Perform a Balance Inquiry
- Open a ticket and tap Checkout in the left menu.
- Tap Gift.
A screen will appear with various options.
- Tap Inquire to select it, then swipe or manually enter the gift card’s number.
To Pay a Check with a Gift Card
- Open a ticket and select Checkout from the Left Handed Menu.
- Select Gift in the bottom right. A screen will appear with various options.
- Tap Redeem to select it and swipe or manually enter the Gift Card.
Online Ordering Website
To Purchase an eGift Card
- In the Online Ordering website, select Purchase Gift Card.
A list of gift cards will appear.
- Select the gift card item from the list.
A new screen will appear.
- Enter the card amount, recipient’s email, and who the card is from.
- Optionally, you can also enter a gift message.
- When done, tap Add to Order.
Once you have paid for and submitted your order to the location, the POS send the eGift card to the recipient’s email address.
To Redeem a Gift Card Online
- In the checkout screen, access the Enter Your Info panel and tap New Gift Card.
- In the Enter your gift card information panel, enter the gift card number and PIN, then tap Add Card.
- Submit your order to complete the transaction.
Heartland Gift FAQ
This contains some commonly asked questions regarding the Heartland Gift integration with Heartland Restaurant.
What kind of MSR must be used with the Heartland Gift Direct integration?
- At this time, an Unencrypted IDTech Unimag II must be used for swiped gift transactions. Manual Entry may be done as well.
- You cannot swipe through any encrypted MSR. It will not work.
Through any of the setup paths, can I manually enter the Gift Card to use it?
- Yes, this is possible through all setup paths.
Can I use Heartland Gift Cards as House Accounts?
- No, this functionality is not supported for Heartland Restaurant.
Can my merchant’s existing Monetary/Mobilebytes gift cards be converted to Heartland Gift cards?
- Please see our Heartland Gift resources page here for more information on conversions.