This article describes the best practices and different ways to accomplish coursing with Heartland Restaurant.
There are a couple of ways to configure coursing while using Heartland Restaurant. You can pre-configure the course numbers on the items themselves within the Admin Console, or you can configure them on the fly within the Heartland Restaurant POS app.
To Pre-configure Course Numbers in the Admin Console
- Log into the Admin Console.
- In the Admin Console’s Main Menu, click Account Menu, then click Items.
- In the Item screen, select an existing item.
- In the item’s Settings screen, in the Default Course box, enter an appropriate course number for the item.
The value of “0” will not assign a course.
- Click Save to save the item’s settings.
- Click Publish to publish the updated item.
You will still need to manually add Hold and Rush to the item.
To Edit Course Numbers in the POS App
- Enter your PIN number to log into the POS app.
- Create a New Ticket.
- Add an item to the ticket.
- Select the item inside the ticket.
- At the bottom right, select Course.
- On the number pad, select the desired course number.
You can use this feature to rush or hold an item.
- To rush the item, tap Rush.
It will display on the ticket as a label featuring the selected number with an “R” suffix.
- To hold the item, select Hold.
It will display on the ticket as a label featuring the selected number with an “H” suffix.
- Repeat Steps 3 to 8 to add all desired items to the ticket and associate each one with a course number.
- Click Send.
All course numbers (including those rushed and held) will display in the left margin of the ticket panel.
The following is an example of the workflow for coursing in Heartland Restaurant, assuming items are pre-configured for three courses:
- Log into the POS.
- Open a new ticket.
- Add items to the ticket.
- On the 3rd course, select and hold an item.
- Tap Send.
This will send Course 1 and 2 to the kitchen printer and the KDS.
- On the kitchen printer, it will print both courses on one ticket or print separate tickets for each course, depending on the settings in the Display Format.
- On the KDS, it will display both courses that are sent.
If you have the option for Bump Individual Items on for the KDS, when you bump all items for that course, it will start a timer displaying how long that course has been out of the kitchen. This can help kitchen staff time orders better and give them a better understanding on when to make and send orders for a good flow in the kitchen.
When the kitchen staff is ready with the course, they can bump the order.
- Next, select the same ticket.
- Select the held Course 3 item.
- Select Course.
- Select Hold.
This will remove the hold from the item.
- Select Send.
The order will be sent to the kitchen printer and the KDS.
Coursing is completed; proceed to normal ticket procedures.